When in the beginning stages of decorating your vacation rental home, you must first and foremost decide on a direction you would like to go. A cohesive decor scheme will do you more good, than clashing decor throughout different rooms and areas of your vacation rental home.
Picking Furniture For Your Short-term Rental Home
So, how do you pick furniture for your short-term rental home? You’re going to want to get furniture based on the following criteria:
- Based on your home’s location, is the decor going to reflect the environment? This is important to enhance your target guest’s experience.
- Pick furniture/decor that ages well. We all know trends tend to come and go…But there are certain styles that are timeless. Make sure your vacation rental home’s decor stands the tests of time.
- Keep it simple. It’s nice to have nice personal and character defining touches, but keep in mind that simplicity goes a long way. You don’t want to overdo it, as this can make it seem like a clashing mixture of style.
- Put yourself in your renter’s shoes. What would you want to see if you were vacationing in your home? Include some of those things you envision. This will help market your home better, as nice touches will make you stand out.
- If you’re on a budget, don’t be afraid to mix and match separate token pieces. It’s not always feasible or good-looking to buy matching furniture sets. Sometimes you can save your budget and improve the home’s style by selecting independent and standout pieces that will together create a cohesive decorum.
Invest In Durable, Quality Furniture
Once you decide on the type of style and direction you want to build your vacation rental home’s interior design around—find pieces that will last a long time and that are made with good quality. If you’re anticipating to book a lot of people throughout the year, you will need to get furnishing pieces that will withstand not only trends, but the passes of many people. Investing in quality furniture upfront will save you hassles, headaches and money in the future.
Narrow Down Your Style
Know what kind of style you want to implement and follow through. Try to avoid combining various themes, as this will look cluttered and incoherent. It’s best to have a niche and narrowed approach to decorating, as it will be easier to maintain consistency throughout the property. This will stand out amongst other listings, as it shows that you not only care for your property, but wish to create a welcoming environment for all those who seek to stay.
Consider The Style Your Ideal Guests Want
When styling a vacation rental home, it is important to consider the style your guests want. If you have a group of friends who are looking for a traditional beach house, then you’ll want to furnish your rental so that it has a classic beach feel. However, if you have a family with young children, you may want to create a more modern style so that everyone can be comfortable. Ultimately, it is important to find a rental that your guests will be happy with so that everyone can enjoy their vacation. So do your research about your market and target guests, so that you can accomplish this.
Lighting Is Everything
Lighting can be the difference between a rental home feeling like a cold, sterile hotel room and a cozy, inviting space. It can also be a key factor in setting the right mood for guests. For example, if you want to create a relaxing atmosphere in a vacation rental home, then using warm, dim lighting can be very effective. On the other hand, if you want to style a rental home for a fun and festive party, then bright, colorful lighting can help create that atmosphere. No matter what kind of mood you want to create, lighting is an important factor to consider when styling a vacation rental home.
Accentuate Your Home’s Best Features With Complimentary Pieces
Your vacation rental home should be treated as a relaxing and luxurious sanctuary for others, so it’s important to make it a reflection of your unique style. One way to do this is by accentuating your home’s best features with complimentary pieces. For example, if you have a beautiful fireplace, consider adding a stunning piece of artwork above it. Or, if you have a large window with a great view, consider adding a comfortable chair and reading lamp next to it. By adding these types of pieces, you’ll not only make your home more stylish, but you’ll also make it more inviting and comfortable.
Remove Any Personal Items
If you plan on only using a vacation rental home for the sole purpose of renting it out, it is best to leave out any personal items such as family photos, jewelry, clothing, and family heirlooms. This will make your guests feel like they are truly in a home meant just for them. Creating an all-immersive and welcoming environment is a huge part of selling your vacation rental home to others.
Attention To Details Matter
Tie in anything that will bring the room and atmosphere together. This will include things such as accent pieces, rugs, paintings, light fixtures. Once you have a solid framework for what you want your home to look like, then you can intertwine entertainment/functional items such as pool tables, game rooms, bars, and kitchen islands. These will improve your vacation home’s value while also adding pops of interesting features. By providing these detailed decoration items, your listing will attract attention.